Saturday, August 30, 2008

What Kind Of Decision Did John Make ?



Ever since John McCain has announced his choice for VP, I have seen nothing bad comments about Sarah Palin. Her age, her experience, even an alleged controversy over her ex brother in law's job as a state trooper. Well, before I make a decision about McCains choice, I wanted to find out more about Palin. I found a bio here http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/08/29/officlal_Palin_biography.html

Palin took the office of the Governor to Alaska in December 2006, and under her leadership, Alaska invested $5 billion in state savings to overhaul education funding, and implemented the Senior Benefits Program that provides support for low-income older Alaskans. She created Alaska's Petroleum Systems Integrity Office to provide oversight and maintenance of oil and gas equipment, facilities and infrastructure, and the Climate Change Sub cabinet to prepare a climate change strategy for Alaska.

During her first legislative session, Governor Palins administration passed two major pieces of legislation. An overhaul of the states ethics laws and a competitive process to construct a gas pipeline.

Prior to her election as Governor, Palin served two terms on the Wasilla City Council and two terms as the mayor of Wasilla. During her tenure, she reduced property tax levels while increasing services and made Wasilla a business friendly environment, drawing in new industry.


She was elected by her peers to serve as president of the Alaska Conference of Mayors. In this role, she worked with local, state and federal officials to promote solutions to the needs of Alaska’s communities.

She is married to Todd Palin, who is a lifelong Alaskan, a production operator on the North Slope and a four-time champion of the Iron Dog, the world’s longest snowmobile race.



Palin is a lifetime member of the NRA and enjoys hunting, fishing, Alaska history, and all that Alaska’s great outdoors has to offer.”





Palin entered, and was 2nd runner up for Ms Alaska in 1984 . Makes me wonder if there is anything she can't do.




As to the controversy involving her former brother in law, I have found no fact pertaining to it, but did find some disgruntled workers who were fired for not doing their job






I see that she was not born into politics, and has honestly worked her way up to where she is today. Everyone is screaming for change, and the loudest screamer out there

chose a running mate that was already in up to his ears in the DC cesspool.

Change ? Get out of here, Biden has his own agenda, and will do what it takes to get the #2 spot.




John McCain has chosen a free thinking, realistic, woman from the real world. She is a wife and mother who has worked for a living to help support her family. She is an avid outdoors person who hunts and fishes. She is not afraid to speak out against things that are wrong, and will stand and fight for her beliefs. I am anxious to hear what she will be saying in the next few weeks.



5 comments:

Da Old Man said...

I really like the choice. The hypocrisy from the other side is pretty funny, though. She has more executive experience than anyone in the race. The others have more political experience, serving as representatives. She ran the government. Granted it is one of the smallest states, but does that mean only large states like NY should be represented? I'd like to see her as President even more than any of the other choices.

Anonymous said...

Okay! I actually found it this time! I'll update my review on link referral. This is great commentary. I think there's going to be a real race now!

Robert Simms said...

Of course, you'll always hear only negative things coming from the other party.
I liked the choice so much I'm switching my vote from Barr to McCain/ Palin.

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to the Seattle Times (article done by a former Alaskan who wrote for the Anchorage Daily News) that better looks at Palin's history.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008151136_palin01m0.html

Also interesting is the news that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant and going to get married. Has utterly no political relevance, in my opinion. But man oh man that poor kid is going to have to grow up fast.

While I respect any strong woman, especially one in politics, the argument against Palin that I have heard is that she doesn't compromise. More importantly, she can't compromise. Which sounds great to voters who want someone strong. But it means that the legislature does get hamstrung at times in the face of no compromise at all.

I personally like someone willing to work a bit with the system, but then I'm a bleeding-heart liberal so you and I don't agree on a lot of things. My other big problem with Palin is that she's utterly against pro-choice. Even in the usually allowed venue of rape/molestation/etc. I am personally pro-choice. Every baby a wanted baby. But again that's personal politics that probably aren't aligned with the majority of your readers. (But I like your pieces because you may butt up against many of my opinions but you state yours well.)

I'm just saying, while I'm glad my mother decided to keep me, there are a lot of factors that enter into being the child of a too-young, unprepared parent. A relative of mine was literally kept out of spite, rather than given up for adoption (long story there), and that relative suffered abuse at the hands of a stepparent -- ALL forms of abuse, if you catch my drift. Because the mom was so desperate to be loved by anyone, she kept a terrible guy around who turned out to be an even worse guy.

Obviously, in the best of cases, the child gets given up for adoption so that people who really want to be parents can fulfill their dreams. But all the body's hormones are funnelled toward the mother not giving the child away. If they didn't, most kids would get chucked as they eternally screamed and pooped. But they have that sweet smell and are so adorable... It's hard to combat nature.

Anyway getting back to the issue at hand, while I may not appreciate all of her politics, at least McCain showed some imagination in his choice. I think it was a strange but shrewd move. I'm not exactly eager for another conservative president. But kudos to him for thinking outside the box.

HawgWyld said...

The attacks against Palin will, sadly, probably get more frantic over the next few weeks. I figure the Dems will dig their own hole the more they try to bury Palin, but I've gotten used to watching them go out of the way to lose elections.

Visit The Natural State Hawg